Our very enthusiastic group of Preppers were fortunate enough have one member, get us the ok to go to the local LDS Cannery, and do some canning. #10 cans and 25lb bags of assorted groceries and a lot of fun!
Now this is my first time doing canning such as this, always wanted to and it was informative and with our large group, quick and fun. Most of my long term storage is 5 gallon buckets, with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. This is the way I learned and have done it for over 20 years. But this can thing, it has some legs! This particular canner, which is typical for #10 canners, is from Gering & Son. It retails for about $1,300 bucks, a little steep for one household but a group, maybe.
Since my method is the 5 gallon bucket, the can was different but the thought behind it does the same thing, store food, but it differs in flexibility. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. What I want to do is compare the highlights of each and the cost factor as well. Let’s face it, it does come down to dollars….
- 5 Gallons in one container, a very sturdy container with a handle.
- They stack very nicely on each other.
- Water will not affect them.
- Lids can be taken off and put back on
- Can be resealed after opening
- Holds about 25lbs of product
- Smaller portions reduce waste after opening
- Store on a rack system or in boxes on shelves
- Smaller size means sharing with others is easier
- Transport smaller amounts with a variety of items
- Can fit into smaller storage areas
- Holds about 4lbs of product
Now each have benefits and drawbacks. But lets look at cost.
- Bucket, Lid, Mylar bag, Ox Absorber will run about $ 6.38
- Can, Metal Lid, Ox Absorber and Plastic lid will run about $ 1.10
- So with about 6 cans storing as much as one bucket the cost by volume is $ 6.60
(pricing for cans is from LDS price sheet and bucket pricing from TPP gear shack)
So there is the math but you have to factor in your plan. So with the pricing so close, see what works in your plan. Always remember: PREPPING IS PERSONAL, it has to fit your plan, lifestyle and your vision of the future. I would love to know which you are using.